Thursday, February 12, 2009

O'Canada

I understand and respect others wishes to believe in whatever religion they see fit for them. I myself am not religious so maybe I am not understanding something, but as it stands I have a bone to pick.

There is a teacher where I live who was asked by a couple of parents to not sing O'Canada in school before class, it was against their religion. I am unsure of all the facts on this case, if they are immigrants or Canadian, but unless singing is against your religion then I don't see an issue. O'Canada is our national anthem, it celebrates our national pride, which took a long time to build up, and celebrates our unity. The word God is mentioned in the song, but is it really necessary to make such a large deal about this even if you do not have the same faith as what the song is intending. The song is not that long, and perhaps those two or three children could just stand with the class but not participate in the song. I find it very infuriating that people would ask Canadians, whether be other Canadians or not, to not sing something that symbolizes who we are as a nation. If it is in fact immigrants, and I am not being prejudice or racist here, they are the ones that moved to Canada to be Canadian citizens so when you come here you get the whole package deal, song and everything. We are symbol of freedom and unity, people move here for a reason and should want to be part of this great country, and its song.

I am not trying to offend anyone by this blog, but I am Canadian and I don't think we should have to give up anything because someone doesn't like a word in a song, or like the tune of it or whatever. What do you think would happen if one of us went to another country and asked them stop singing their national anthem? Probably would never happen!

3 comments:

Sunny said...

They are most likely Jehovah's Witnesses. They believe it is wrong to pledge alligience to anything or anyone but God. When I was in elementary school there was a family down the street who were Jehovah's Witnesses and they had to leave the classroom during the national anthem.

Sunny said...

Oh and if it was an immigrant they would most likely be the first ones singing with tears in their eyes and know all the words while the rest of us might not. Immigrants go through Hell to get here and are usually very grateful to be here and would sing with pride.
Just a little information on the subject. Not meaning to be wenchy just thought it might be good to know.

LLG said...

that is good to know, i wasn't sure who the people not particpating in the anthem which is why i included both groups Canadians and non, i was pretty sure it would not be immigrants. I respect people's wishes to believe in whatever, but at the same time if they don't want to pledge alligience then they don't have to, but why can't the rest of us? I hope you were not offended by my blog