Sunday, October 18, 2009

A New Path

So lately I have been feeling frustrated because I wasn't finding a full time job. I had a couple of interviews, but nothing came of them. Not only was I not finding a job, but I wasn't even finding anything that I wanted to do. I was looking for jobs that could potentially pay me a decent salary. So since Aug I have been wandering around here wondering what to do. Then I started volunteering at a dog grooming salon in town. Anyone who knows me knows I LOVE animals, and this is right up my alley. I wash and dry them, its super fantastic. So for the past two weeks that has been taking up a majority of my days. The girl who owns the place is a good friend of mine, and the other girls that work there are super! Last night I saw the owner at a mutual friends party. This is when things in the job department start to look up. The owner offers me an appretinceship at her shop!! So I continue to volunteer, which means I can continue to work at the pub and still earn a living, in hopes that I will be trained as a washer/dryer and maybe a groomer by xmas in the hopes to be hired on full time. The owner wants to expand her business to include many other aspects besides grooming, so by next spring I will hopefully will be employed full time! I am so super excited about this. Forever I have wanted to work with animals! My BA degree does not really allow for someone to go in the field of vet, or zookeeper, or anything like that because of the lack of sciences, but this way I can work with animals, and still use my education. If I need to go back to school for some more courses, well my BA degree is that stepping stone! I am so super excited about this opportunity. Not only am I in love with the fact I get to work with animals all day, I am also so stoked about how this shop runs. Besides being passionate about animals, I am also passionate about the environment! This shop has won a Green Award. This means that everying that is used in that shop is environmentally friendly! I am stoked about that! The owner is also about investing in her employees!! She believes in team work, and doing anything she can to help you grow in her buisness.

So of course the downside to this is that I won't get rich doing this job. However how many people can say they LOVE going to work? Sometimes money is not everything! Yes I will have to volunteer for a bit to get where I want, but you know what thats ok with me! I will love what I am doing, I will get to do what I have wanted to do forever, and I strongly believe in what the company stands for. Its a great place to work, the ladies are fun, and we have a great time. I get to work with my friends, that is awsome! The other thing is that the knowledge I gain from this I can take with me anywhere. If for some reason I were to move, I would have something I can take with me and use! I will keep you posted on the journey!!

4 comments:

Coralee said...

I am so proud of you! I love that enjoying what you do is important and that it's not all about the money. You sound excited and I'm so happy for you!

The Original Princess said...

That's great, Laralee! I'm never going to be rich either. But I can honestly say I really like my job.

LLG said...

Thats what I like to hear Original Princess! Its a much better life when you like what you do! You spend most of your time making a living, so it should be something you enjoy!

Sunny said...

I'm proud of you for going after what you want. Others may not understand but who cares?!!!! You have found something that you love and those who scoff are only jealous because so few people can actually say that they are spending time doing what they love and what they actually want to be doing.
Anyone can learn to build a bridge is what they told us on the first day of Arts 1000 class...Stacey B may even remember that. Your BA teaches you to continue learning, broaden your knowledge...that's valuable no matter how you look at it. Just think: while you are overflowing with happiness surrounded by beautiful, wonderful puppies you can tell them all about the Allegory of the Cave and they won't look down their snouts at you. :)
This is fantastic and you should shoot for the moon so that you land amongst the stars.