Monday, April 28, 2008

Decision Making

Decision making is hard, well for me it is, why is this so? Is it conscience related or just so extremely stressful that I would rather not bother? The larger decisions in life are of course much more difficult than the less important ones, but for me any decision I have to make big or small is difficult. Those who can make a decision in the blink of an eye are great people. For me any decision entails indecisiveness, much thought and most importantly stress which usually ends in someone else making the decision for me.

The current decision I am battling with is between two jobs, a job I currently have in which the pay and hours suck but the people are great thus far. I have done this sort of job time and time again and know how the routine works. It also has no room for growing, a part time receptionist is what I started as and a part time receptionist is where I shall end.

The other job is one I recently had a interview for in which I have never done before, the hours are not really any better than the current job but the flexiblity of hours are there which will allow me to spend more time with family, friends and most importantly concentrate on school. It is also flexible in the way which there is room to move around in the company, my position will not be at a standstill forever. I am not sure about the pay but it can't be any worse than my current job.

Both jobs have their ups and downs. The second job sounds much better to me however the decision on which one I should take is still rattling my brain. But perhaps its not the decision moreso than my conscience that is making this decision difficult. If I quit the first job I will feel bad for letting those people down and wasting everyone's time and energy on training me only to leave them a week later. The people are really nice and I have started to like them. The job isn't that bad but I must think about the future especially when it involves school. My current job, the flexibility is not there, I must work the days alotted as I am the only one to do that job on those days.

I must look at it in this light, I need to look out for me and do what is best for me because no one else is going to, especially those at my current job. If the second job is more flexible with hours and will allow me to maximize my potential at school then perhaps that is the direction I need to go in. I am a student, evenings and weekends are going to have be filled with a meaningless job that is only a means to end.

Hopefully with this thought process, thinking it over and talking it over with some more experienced decision makers I will be able to make this decision easily when the time comes to do so.

No comments: