Monday, May 4, 2009

East and West

My friends are currently driving across Canada to see what life would be like in the East. A great adventure that is both exciting and scary. I did it and while I was so homesick for the first couple of months it was the best decision I ever made. I absolutely love it here. I have a nice big house that is situated in the middle of the trees. I love it, I love the East. However before I moved to the East I did not know much about it which I think is the mistake of most Western Canadians. This ignorance comes to life when I and my friends made the decision to move here. I got some ridiculous statements about the East, but the reasons why my friends shouldn't move here is unbeliveable. One argument that was used as a reason not to move across country was the fact that we have no KFC's. This friend actually made this sound like a dealbreaker. It was like KFC was just as important as electricity. Not having either would be detrimental. What kind of argument is that?! It gets better, another argument even more ignorant than the first was that we all live in tents and live on welfare. I know that we are not the richest province in Canada, but on welfare, really?! Living in tents?! That seems kind of contradictory doesn't it? The Maritimes are known for their snowy weather, yet somehow we have tents that can stand up to 50 feet of snow and -25 degree weather. It is amazing how us Maritimers can live in those conditions and still live to tell the tale! Apparently we are so off base here in the East that we don't have banks either! Imagine that! Well what do we need banks for if we just live off welfare. Just get our cheque each month and put it in safe keeping, under the mattress! So if you are ever thinking of moving, it better not be to the East because there is not much here for you. No banks, KFC and we live in tents. Its a tough world, but someone's gotta do it! The East is taking one for the team!

2 comments:

SusieQ said...

Lol. Love that you refer to yourself as a maritimer already. Lol.

awareness said...

Great post! Made me laugh! I'm a chosen Maritimer too...moved out here a while back now from Southern Ontario. I wouldn't move back there even if they gave me an extra welfare cheque.

It's a true pity that folks west of here have such a narrow view of the east coast....!! Everyone should do a tour of this country and see the reality for themselves.