Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Dressed for the occassion

Last night I went in search for a dress for the upcoming wedding taking place next weekend. As I walked through the mall with my husband I knew this task was going to be both gruelling and painful. We went into a couple of stores only to find that most of the clothing was made for girls who had smaller everything than me. As I started to become discouraged I thought looking through here would be a huge waste of time and decided to go somewhere else. The place I had in mind was Pennington's, a store for 14+ ladies.

Normally I would be very upset at the mere mention of such a store and begin to cry. Going to Pennington's is a final truth that I am not a size 8 or 10 anymore. I don't have a problem with bigger people, I have a problem with a bigger me. I used to be one of those girls that could shop in the mall and buy those tiny waisted clothes. The older I get the more junk in the trunk I get!

This time was different. As we drove from the mall to Pennington's, feelings of sadness, discourage. self consciousness and low self esteem seemed to disappear. I kept an open, positive mind about the shopping experience and within little time and lots of money I found a dress. This is a huge thing for me. I don't normally wear anything that is not a pant of some sort and t-shirts that don't cover everything! Anything that shows any skin or cleavage is not something I would wear. Well folks I have come out of my shell. The dresses, I actually found two dresses, show cleavage and are fun and sexy. I tried them on and they looked great, fun and somewhat slimming. I was so ecstatic to have finally found a dress that I feel good in, look good in and have other people think I look good in. Shopping at Pennington's doesn't seem like such a bad idea anymore.

Not only was it a good self esteem booster for me but it was a great experience for my husband. He too was excited to see me in a dress for the first time in four years, well a dress other than my wedding dress.

While I am still not excited about the fact that I am a little more overweight than I should be, I am excited about being able to go clothes shopping without crying in the change room as I try on one shirt or pant after another! Its great to know I can go to a store and things will fit me properly. Self consciousness and lack of self esteem are a thing of the past!

2 comments:

Sunny said...

I can't wait to see those dresses. You are a beautiful person with tons of great qualities that you should show off a bit more such as sexy legs and cleavage!!! Put them out there girl!!! If you weren't meant to show them off a little than God wouldn't have given them to you.

LLG said...

Thanks..you are funny and sweet! i appreciate the vote of confidence. You will see those dresses!! I was thinking I would wear it to a girls night but that will prob be after the wedding as to not ruin the attire!